Child Maintenance

Child maintenance is financial support that helps towards a child’s every day living costs, where the parent who does not have day to day care of the child makes regular payments to the parent or person who does.  That could include a grandparent or guardian as well as a parent. 

In many cases it is possible to reach an agreement about child maintenance. This agreement can in many cases be incorporated into a consent order or agreement which is legally enforceable, ( although it may be possible after 12 months for this to be overridden by an application to the Child Support Agency.)  When it is not possible to reach agreement, either directly between yourselves or with the help of mediation, generally the organisation that has the power to make a child maintenance order is the Child Support Agency (CSA) or Child Maintenance Service.

You should contact your local CSA office who will tell you which service will manage your case.

A useful website for further information about child maintenance is

The Child Support Agency does not have the power to make assessments in certain cases and it may be necessary to apply to the Court, for instance in cases where:

  • The non-resident parent lives abroad
  • The application for maintenance is against a step-parent who is not the child’s biological parent
  • The non-resident parent has an extremely high income
  • The child has exceptional income needs

We can advise you further in relation to which options are available to you. 

Civil Partnerships to be available to all couples

The move follows a recent Supreme Court ruling and will extend the option of civil partnerships, which were fi...

Owens v Owens: Unhappily married woman denied divo...

Tini Owens was left “devastated” after five Supreme Court judges unanimously decided that she had no groun...

Understanding nuptial agreements

Nuptial agreements are made by a couple before or during marriage or civil partnership stating how they intend...

Financial settlement and the importance of a clean...

Many people going through divorce mistakenly believe that once Decree Absolute (the final decree dissolving th...

Welfare checklist

In considering whether to make an order, the child's welfare must be the court's paramount consideration and i...

Specific Issue orders

A disputed point may be brought before the court to enable a particular issue to be resolved. This guide expla...

Training and Examination BIIAB level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders

Date: 14.08.2019

84 Friar Lane

You can obtain the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) once completing your BIIAB Level 2 training, which has been a service provided to Nottinghamshire by Fraser Brown solicitors for over 10 years. ...

The National Franchise Exhibition 2016 Survey

Fiona Boswell presents the results of the survey Fraser Brown conducted at the National Franchise Exhibition 2...

Case study: Incoming Franchisors

Fraser Brown acted for one of Irelands largest importer and wholesalers of furniture into the UK market prepa...

Legal Aid after 1st April 2013

Legal aid for Family Law cases is being very severely cut back on 1st April. After then, even if you are on be...

Sitemap | Ask a question | Careers | Accessibility | Terms of Use | How we handle your data

© 2019 Fraser Brown Solicitors. Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
SRA Number: 0048586   |SRA |  VAT Number: 116 4751 78

Fraser Brown is a partnership of limited companies. Any references to partners in any document should be taken as being references to the directors of the limited companies and not to individual partners of the firm.