Enjoying outside space - Pavement Licenses

If the external area is located within the boundary of the premises it would be prudent to confirm that there are no limitations on the use of that area contained in the title documents. These can take the form of restrictive covenants contained in previous deeds or limitations placed on the use of the premises by a Lease. 

If the external area to be used for the provision of food or drink is on public property, such as a highway or footpath, it will be necessary to obtain a Highway Amenity (pavement) Licence from the local Council. 

There is no prescribed procedure for a pavement licence application. It will therefore be necessary to make enquiries of the Council concerned to obtain the necessary application form and guidance notes. 

It will also be worth enquiring if the Council has a written policy on pavement licensing. If so, it would be advisable to obtain a copy as it will contain useful information concerning the Council’s requirements, such as limitations on items that may be placed within the licensed area, layout of the area and specification for barriers. 

There are no prescribed fees for pavement licences. Each Council will have its own scale of fees which will be provided on request. 

It is advisable to begin the process of applying for a pavement licence as soon as possible as they can take several weeks, in some cases months, to be determined. Pavement licences are very often subject to standard conditions. It is advisable to obtain details of the conditions at the outset to enable any cost implications to be taken into consideration, such as the provision of CCTV to cover the external area. 

If the external area is to be used for the provision of any activities, which are licensable under the 2003 Act, it will be necessary to ensure that the area is included within a Premises Licence if it is to be used on a permanent basis or a Temporary Event Notice if only used occasionally. 

In broad terms, the licensable activities are the sale of alcohol, provision of regulated entertainment or provision of late night refreshment. The consumption of alcohol is not a licensable activity and does not therefore require any authorisation under the 2003 Act. 

As such, it is possible to allow alcohol dispensed within a building, which is licensed under the 2003 Act, to be taken outside of those premises for the purpose of consumption in an external area. Orders may be taken and paid for within the external area and no licence will be required. 

Provided all necessary authorisations are in place it only remains to ensure that the use of an external area does not attract any complaints.  It is therefore essential to ensure that an external area is properly managed to prevent any nuisance or disturbance being caused to other persons, such as residents of nearby property.

The most obvious cause for complaint is noise from customers within the external area. 

It is advisable to erect signage in appropriate locations reminding customers to respect the neighbours and keep noise to a minimum. Staff should also be instructed to monitor the use of the external area and keep noise to an acceptable level.  

The issue of noise becomes more sensitive as the evening progresses. It may therefore be necessary to consider reducing or prohibting the use of the external area after a certain time (for example 11pm) each day. 

An external trading area can be a great benefit to a business provided that it has any necessary authorisations and is managed responsibly. 

If you would like to discuss any of the above points further, please contact one of the licencing team on T: 0115 9888 777 or E: licening@fraserbrown.com

Spring is in the air - how the arrival of British ...

We all look forward to the lighter nights, but are you aware of the effect that the commencement of British Su...

Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate?

It is worth considering the benefits and burdens of each type of authorisation in order to determine which may...

Understanding mandatory licensing conditions

Since 2014 there have been five mandatory licensing conditions. Three of the conditions apply to all premises ...

New arrangements for personal licence holders

The Government is aiming to remove the requirement for personal licence holders to renew their licence every 1...

Deregulation of Entertainment Licensing

The government has recently announced their proposal to deregulate some types of entertainment licensing.

Licensing Update

There are some changes on the horizon that will affect licensed premises.

Training and Examination BIIAB level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders

Date: 14.08.2019

84 Friar Lane

You can obtain the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) once completing your BIIAB Level 2 training, which has been a service provided to Nottinghamshire by Fraser Brown solicitors for over 10 years. ...

Greene King v Gambling Commission

The First-Tier Tribunal has allowed the appeal of Greene King against the decision of the Gambling Commission ...

The Rank Group Plc v HMRC

On 8 July, the Supreme Court found against The Rank Group plc (‘Rank’) in the latest decision on the long-...

Motorway Services Licensing

Following on from the announcement that J D Wetherspoon is set to open a pub at a motorway services off the M4...

Sitemap | Ask a question | Careers | Accessibility | Terms of Use | How we handle your data

© 2019 Fraser Brown Solicitors. Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
SRA Number: 0048586   |SRA |  VAT Number: 116 4751 78

Fraser Brown is a partnership of limited companies. Any references to partners in any document should be taken as being references to the directors of the limited companies and not to individual partners of the firm.