Premises Licence

A premises licence is the most common type of licence for a venue to apply for. It allows for the sale of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment and the sale of hot food and drink between 11pm and 5am.

Many premises will apply for these licences, including pubs, restaurants, off licences, supermarkets, cinemas and many others.

The Premises Licence must be displayed clearly on the premises concerned.

The Licensing Act 2003 has established a single regime for all licensed premises. Under the Act, local councils regulate four licensable activities:

-         The sale of alcohol

-         The supply of alcohol

-         The provision of regulated entertainment

-         The provision of late night refreshments (after 11pm)

Licensing authorities are responsible for administering the act in their areas. This includes issuing licences and working with the police and other authorities. They have four main objectives when carrying out their role:

-         Prevention of crime and disorder

-         Prevention of public nuisance

-         Public safety

-         Protection of children from harm

We regularly work with licensed venues, local authorities and the police and can advice you on all aspects of licensing law.

We can advise you on the most suitable licence for your business to ensure you are complying with the law.

Temporary Event Notices & the Rugby World Cup 2019

Japan will be hosting the 9th Rugby World Cup from 20th September 2019 and this presents a great opportunity f...

Spring is in the air - how the arrival of British ...

We all look forward to the lighter nights, but are you aware of the effect that the commencement of British Su...

Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate?

It is worth considering the benefits and burdens of each type of authorisation in order to determine which may...

New arrangements for personal licence holders

The Government is aiming to remove the requirement for personal licence holders to renew their licence every 1...

Deregulation of Entertainment Licensing

The government has recently announced their proposal to deregulate some types of entertainment licensing.

Licensing Update

There are some changes on the horizon that will affect licensed premises.

Training and Examination BIIAB level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders

Date: 14.07.2020

84 Friar Lane

You can obtain the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) once completing your BIIAB Level 2 training, which has been a service provided to Nottinghamshire by Fraser Brown solicitors for over 12 years. ...

Greene King v Gambling Commission

The First-Tier Tribunal has allowed the appeal of Greene King against the decision of the Gambling Commission ...

The Rank Group Plc v HMRC

On 8 July, the Supreme Court found against The Rank Group plc (‘Rank’) in the latest decision on the long-...

Motorway Services Licensing

Following on from the announcement that J D Wetherspoon is set to open a pub at a motorway services off the M4...

Sitemap | Ask a question | Careers | Accessibility | Terms of Use | How we handle your data

© 2019 Fraser Brown Solicitors. Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
SRA Number: 0048586   |SRA |  VAT Number: 116 4751 78

Fraser Brown is a partnership of limited companies. Any references to partners in any document should be taken as being references to the directors of the limited companies and not to individual partners of the firm.